OOOOOOOO

farm & country house
Clos Gerton


Orthez

O Béarn OOOOOOO Pyrénées Atlantiques OOOOOO Aquitaine

France

 

o

...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

...

....

...

manor
and
agricultural farm dependencies

manor's southern facade

Farm in rural Béarn, 1,3 miles north from the center of the medieval village of Orthez.with very attractive group of buildings all built around a central garden-courtyard
It is set on 2,5 acres (1 ha.) of private parkland amidst gentle hills, offering magnificent views to the entire chain of the Pyrenees mountains, bordering with Spain
The country house manor has been awarded by the local County Council the qualification "outstanding rural dwelling" 

The manor, confortable and well equipped with spacious accomodation, beautifully and entirely renovated and upgraded in 2007 by its current owner 
(including beams, complete electrical re-wiring and re-plumbing, municipal-gaz central heating and isulation), offering the comforts of modern life without incurring further expenditures
It dates from late 16th century and early 18th and 19th centuries. 
The manor's key stone above the entrance door displays the date 1598 which is set during the reign of Henry IV (1553-1610) King of France and Navarre

The farm has its own well on top of the hill and comprises several residential and agricultural buildings:

read "historic information"O

 

 

OO ..OO

entrance to the courtyard under the porch-dovecote (1717)OOOOOOOOOOOOOOcourtyard with manor and agricultural dependenciesO

OooO

.

view from Clos Gerton of the Orthez campaign at dawn and the Pyrenees mountains

* * *

bedrooms

 

master bedroom "Catherine de Foix"

Located on the first floor

Spacious twin room (18'8" x 18'8") with two large single beds (3'11" x 6'3")

Facing south and providing exceptional views of the park, 13th century Moncade Tower in Orthez and the Pyrenees mountains

Room fitted with TV, free internet WIFI access and fan

All linen provided including bath and beach towels

Private access to a fully equipped bathroom


.
.
master bedroom "Catherine de Foix"

.
view of the garden from the bedroom

..

private toilet and bathroom with a bathtub and a large shower cabin

view of the porche-dovecote from the bathroom's window

* * *

bedroom "the Pigeonnier"

Located on the first floor

Spacious room (14'1" x 14'1") with a large double bed (5'3" x 6'3")

Facing the dovecote standing in the garden-courtyard

Room fitted with TV, free internet WIFI access and fan

All linen provided including bath and beach towels

Direct acces from the bedroom to a private bathroom

o

o.
.
" Pigeonnier" bedroom

view of the porche-dovecote from the bedroom's window

.

private toilet and bathroom with a large shower cabin

 

photos

 

southern facade

0

.

view of Orthez's countryside at dawn in december and Clos Gerton's garden

.o

white hortensia Hydrangea paniculata  “Sundae Fraise”  next to the porch-dovecote (1717)
view from a southern window of the Moncade Tower (Orthez) and behind it, the Pyrenees mountains  

o.

entrance and hallway

.o

.

beamed living room-library

.

fireplace and breakfast table

.

the fireplace

o

a walk in the southern private garden to the monument of Wellington's Orthez battle

* * *

 

floor plans

ground floor before reforms
ground floor after reforms

upper floor before reforms
upper floor after reforms



o
ground floor before reforms

ground floor after reforms

upper floor before reforms

upper floor after reforms

* * *

historic information


It is a family of traders, the Camescasse - which appears in a protestant parish register of Orthez in the 16th century - who buys the property of Gerton or Jertou in march 29, 1775. The seller is the Pouilhan Gerton family. Predominantly protestant in the early 17th century, since 1685 the marriages and baptisms of the Camescasse family were celebrated at a catholic church so as to give a civil status to their children, after the Edict of Nantes signed in April 1598 by Henry IV, King of France and Navarre to promote civil unity in France. It is for the first time in 1640 that the Camescasse appear in a catholic parish register.

It is with all probability that the Pouilhan-Gerton family built the manor of Clos Jertou in the late 16th century.

Le Clos has several residential buildings and dependencies for agricultural use. The oldest country manor house bears the date 1599 on the key stone of the main entrance door. The Camescasse family, at the time a merchant boilermaker and afterwards Bordeaux shipowner and international trader, had paid 7,736 pounds for a "maison, grange, fournière, pressoir, basse-cour, airial, arbres, jardin et prairie, le tout en un tenant" located by the new royal road Orthez-Dax, next to Testevin farm. The property included other lands beyond the royal road, "prairie, vigne, hautin et bois, fonds labourables et touyaas", plus a piece of land and touya. On the same day, Jean Camescasse purchased from Jean Pouilhan the land called "Crabe " and a piece of land called "lou casau Lalanne" or "Cambot ", located in the vicinity of Gerton. The acquisition of a farm with a "metayer" (a cultivator on join account) was at the time considered a safe investment and a profitable endeavour with the crops it provided, not to mention the rest it provided to the family as well as the image of greater respectability it gave its owners, especially when traders were concerned.

Due to unsuccessful business deals with his brother-in-law Paul Lacoste and his nephew Mathieu Lacoste, Jean Junior Camescasse sold to the latter in 1818 the Gerton property for an amount of 16,000 pounds. After the acquisition of the property by the Lacoste family in 1818 - shortly after Wellington's battle of Orthez in 1814 - a second body housing was built between the old manoir of the 16th century and an agricultural dependency. The main northern facade was then redone to harmonise the old and the new bodies of the manor.

* From Anne- Catherine Marin ; " The Camescasse a family of Protestants orthéziens (XVI - XVIII centuries ) ," Review and Pau Béarn No. 19 , 1992. CEPB No. 5 , Archives departamentales Pyrénées Atlantiques , Pau. (translation)

The Lacoste family continued to own the Clos Gerton in the year 2007.

A monument to those French, English and Portuguese soldiers killed in the battle of Orthez between Wellington and General Soult (February 24th, 1814) is located in the garden of Clos Gerton by the roadside to Dax. At the time of the battle, the Count of Armagnac, which formed the left wing of General Reille, settled in Le Clos Gerton, the manoir having probably been occupied by Wellington after his victory.

 


* * *

 

contact & location
how to get there

 

 

How to get there:

    • highway A64, take exit number 8 (Orthez)
    • road D817 from Bayonne and/or Pau
    • road D415 («route Impériale") from Bayonne
    • road D947 from Dax
    • road D933 from Mont-de-Marsan

o

 

 

 

selected guide for tourist, historical and cultural travelers


département of Pyrenees Atlantiques

(Labourd / Basse-Navarre / Soule / Béarn)
and Navarre (Spain)


suggestions on places to visit OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO places not to miss

municipalities of Pyrenees Atlantiques (Aquitaine)

BÉARN

the castle and the city of Pau (29 miles) 
church Saint Sylvestre  Saint Colome (valley of Ossau) (44 miles) 
church Saint Jean Baptiste  Diusse (Vic Bilh) (36 miles) 
fortified castle of  Montaner (Vic Bilh) (50 miles) 
fortified church and casle of Morlanne (Marches de Béarn) (14 miles) 

castle of Momas (pays des Luys) (22 miles) 
church Saint Girons  Monein (coteaux de Jurançon) (23 miles) 
church Sainte Foy  Morlaàs (pays des Luys) (34 miles) 
"maison carrée" and church Saint Vincent  Nay (Piémont Nayais) (44 miles) 
the city of Oloron-Sainte Marie (Piémont Oloronnais) (28 miles) 

monastery-church Sainte Blaise  Lacommande (coteaux de Jurançon) (32 miles) 
cathedral and ancient village of  Lescar (Grand Pau) (24 miles)  
sanctuary Notre Dame de l'Assomption Sarrance (valley of Aspe) (39 miles) 
church and abbey of Sauvelade (Entre deux Gaves) (9 miles)  
church Sainte Marie Madeleine Hôpital d'Orion (Entre deux Gaves) (8 miles) 

castle of Coarrace (Piémont Nayais) (44 miles) 
Eaux-Bonnes (valley of Ossau) (55 miles)  
the fortifications of Bellocq (Entre deux Gaves) (9 miles) 
church Assomption and castle of Trubesée Cabidos (Marches de Béarn) (23 miles) 
chapel Commanderie de Caubin Arthez-de-Béarn (23 miles) 

the charm of the village Salies de Béarn (11 miles) 
the fortifications of  Navarrenx (14 miles) 
church Saint André and the bridge "la Légende"  Sauveterre-de-Béarn (18 miles) 
the Moncade Tower and the old bridge Orthez (1,2 miles) 
early christian sarcophagus, church Saint Vincent Diacre  Lucq-de-Béarn (21 miles) 




LOWER-NAVARRE


castle of the dukes de Gramont and the houses of  Bidache (27 miles) 
the streets and the fortifications of Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port (44 miles) 
church Saint Jacques le Majeur  Viellenave, Bergouey-Viellenave (23 miles) 
the charme of the village La Bastide Clairence (39 miles) 
castle of Armendarits (35 miles) 
castle of Olce Iholdy (36 miles) 
castle-farm of Laxague, Ostabat (33 miles) 
castle of Echauz Saint Étienne de Baïgorry, (49 miles) 
the city of Saint Palais (25 miles) 
church Saint André Bascassan (pays de Cize) (44 miles) 
chapel Saint Nicolas d'Harambeltz in Asme (pays d'Ostabarret) (29 miles) 


SOULE


church Saint Jean Baptiste  Haux (31 miles) 
church Saint Jean Baptiste  Larrau (45 miles) 
church Hôpital Saint Blaise (23 miles) 
chapel Saint Antoine or "de la Paix"  Musculdy (panoramic view) (31 miles) 
romanesque church Saint Michel  Ordiarp (30 miles) 
church Sainte Engrace Sainte Engrace (43 miles) 
castle of Andurain of Maytie and fortified castle of Mauléon  (25 miles) 


LABOURD 

inland municipalities

church Notre Dame de l'Assomption and the charme of the village Ainhoa (61 miles) 
church Saint Jean Baptiste and castle of the marquis of Arcangues (52 miles) 
church Saint Laurent and villa Arnaga  Cambo-les-Bains (49 miles) 
church Saint Etienne and the charme of the village Espelette (59 miles) 
church Saint Fructueux  Itxassou (52 miles) 
romanesque chapel Saint Sauveur  Jatxou (51 miles) 
church Notre Dame de l'Assomption  Louhossoa (53 miles) 

coastal municipalities


Saint-Jean-de-Luz (58 miles) 
Biarritz (55 miles) 
Ciboure; le fort de Socoa (59-61 miles) 
the cathedral and the fortifications of  Bayonne (48 miles) 
church Saint Vincent and the castle of Abbadie  Hendaye (66 miles) 
castle of Urtubie  Urrugne (61 miles) 


coastal municipalities in Spain (Guipuzcoa)


ancient fortified village and the golf club Fuenterrabia (70 miles) 
San Sebastián (82 miles)  
Zarauz (93 miles) 
Guetaria (95 miles) 

inland municipalities in Spain


NAVARRE


the streets and the church San Esteban
 Vera del Bidasoa (73 miles) 
the streets and the church San Martín  Lesaca (75 miles) 
the streets and the church Santa María  Echalar (77 miles) 
natural reserve and park of the Señorío de Bértiz (86 miles) 
Elizondo and other villages valley of Baztán (66-78 miles Elizondo)
historical heritage of Roncesvalles (61 miles) 
gothic cathedral of Pamplona (90 miles via Roncesvalles)    
historical heritage of Estella (117 miles via Roncesvalles) 
the 11th century bridge and the medieval village of  Puente la Reina (106 miles via Roncesvalles) 
12th century romanesque church of Eunate (Muruzábal) (106 miles via Roncesvalles)
13th century gothic church Saint Vincent  Larumbe (102 miles via Roncesvalles) 

 

Oo
e

 

 

* * *



PYRENEES ATLANTIQUES (64)

Golf d' Arcangues (Labourd) (51 miles)   http://www.golfdarcangues.com/golfdarcangues/
Golf de Biarritz Le Phare (Labourd) (54 miles) http://www.golfbiarritz.com/
Golf de Chantaco (Saint Jean de Luz, Labourd) (58 miles) http://www.chantaco.com/
Golf de Chiberta (Anglet, Labourd) (52 miles)   http://www.golfchiberta.com/web/
Golf Epherra (Souraïre, Labourd) (50 miles) http://www.golf-basque.com/
Golf d' Ilbarritz (Bidart, Labourd) (53 miles)   http://www.golfilbarritz.com/
Golf de La Nivelle (Ciboure, Labourd) (59 miles)   http://www.golfnivelle.com/
Makila Golf Club (Bassussarry, Labourd) (49 miles)   http://www.makilagolfclub.com/
Oloron Golf Club les Vallées (Ledeuix, Béarn) (30 miles) https://www.facebook.com/OloronGolfClubLesVallees?ref=stream
Golf de Pau Atiguelouve (Artiguelouve, Béarn) (23 miles)  http://www.golfpauartiguelouve.fr/
Pau Golf Club 1856 (Billère, Béarn) (27 miles)   http://www.paugolfclub.com/
Golf Club Hélios (Salies de Béarn, Béarn) (12 miles)  http://www.golfsalies.com/

LES LANDES (40)

Golf de Mont-de-Marsan (41 miles) http://www.golfmontdemarsan.com/
Golf d' Hossegor (44 miles) http://ww.golfhossegor.com/
Le Golf Blue Green de Seignosse (45 miles) http://www.touradour.com/golf/seignosse/gb/golf.htm
Les Greens d'Eugénie - Golf du Tursan (Bahus-Soubiran) (33 miles) http://www.golf-greens-eugenie.fr/

NAVARRE (Spain)

Club de Golf Ulzama (Guerendiain, valley of Ulzama) (62 miles) http://www.golfulzama.com/
Club Golf Gorraiz (Gorraiz, very near Pamplona, valle de Egüés) (88 miles, via Roncesvalles) http://www.golfgorraiz.es/portal/index.aspx
Señorío de Zuasti Golf Club de Campo (Zuasti, very near Pamplona, cendea de Iza) (98 miles, via Roncesvalles) http://www.zuasti.com/

GUIPUZCOA (Spain)

Real Golf Club de San Sebastián (Fuenterrabia) (70 miles) http://www.golfsansebastian.com/

 

PYRENEES ATLANTIQUES (64)

 

La Pierre Saint Martin (Arette) (52 miles) www.lapierrestmartin.com
Artouste
(63 miles) www.station-artouste.com
Gourette
(Eaux Bonnes) (61 miles) www.gourette.com

HAUTES-PYRENEES (65)

 

Cauterets (70 miles)   http://www.cauterets.com/
Gavarnie (82 miles)   www.gavarnie.com

ESPAGNE

 

Pirineo Aragonés

 

Astún (63 miles) https://www.astun.com/es/inicio
Candanchú (Huesca) (63 miles) http://www.candanchu.com/
Formigal (Huesca) (76 miles) http://www.formigal.com/

Pirineo Catalán

 

Baqueira Beret (valle de Arán, Lérida) (129 miles) http://www.baqueira.es/

 

Hendaye OOOOOO Saint Jean de Luz OOOOOO Ilbarritz OOOOOO Biarritz OOOOOO Anglet OOOOOO Les Landes

 

.

Hendaye (66 miles)

Saint Jean de Luz (59 miles)

.

Ilbarritz (Bidart) (57 miles)

.

Biarritz (55 miles)

.

Anglet (47 miles)

.

the non-ending sand beaches lined with dunes of Les Landes
Hossegor, Capbreton, Seignosse (44 miles, via Peyrehorade))